Sanjay Dutt, is the son of actors Sunil Dutt and Nargis, Dutt and launched his Bollywood career with the brilliant movie, Rocky in 1981. The film was directed by his father. The crime thriller Naam in 1985 proved to be a major turning point in his career, which was followed by a series of commercially successful films in that decade, including Jeete Hain Shaan Se (1988), Mardon Wali Baat (1988), Ilaaka (1989), Hum Bhi Insaan Hain (1989) and Kanoon Apna Apna(1989).
He also earned nominations for the Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Saajan (1991) and Khalnayak (1993). Sanjay Dutt earned his first Best Actor award at the ceremony for playing a common man-turned-gangster in Vaastav: The Reality (1999). Along with Vaastav: The Reality, he also won awards for playing an army officer in Mission Kashmir (2001), a soft-hearted goofy gangster in Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. (2003) and its sequel Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006).
Amidst all his fame and fortune, came controversy and Dutt was arrested under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act in 1993. The charges of terrorism were dropped but he was still convicted of illegal possession of weapons. After serving his sentence with good behaviour and conduct, he was released in 2016. Sanjay Dutt's life is the recipient of a considerable amount of media coverage in India, and in 2018, Sanju, a biopic based on his life (which also saw a special appearance by him), was released. The movie received many positive reviews from critics and the audiences and comfortably emerged as one of the highest-grossers of Indian cinema.
- As an actor, I've grown considerably. For example, it's taken me years to get comfortable doing a romantic scene and dancing on stage in front of a live audience. I do it a lot better than I ever did. I've really opened up a lot. And I'm glad I have because I'm being appreciated for it.
- I think the best thing about my short-lived political career was that I saw the interiors of Bihar and UP. That is the real India, and, being an Indian, it was really sad to see our own people living in such dismal conditions. It was a real eye-opener
- I work out like a maniac, three times more than anything I did in the past. I am off carbs, salt, sweets, and live on a fish diet. And I promise I am not going to indulge in food again. See, when I was 49 years old, I was fine, but the moment I touched 50, I felt that something within me had changed drastically. My metabolic rate dropped.
- With the kids around, this is a different world to me. I spend a lot of time with them till they go to their playschool. I wake up early, have breakfast with them. I come back from work and am with them again till they go to bed by 10 P.M. Touch wood, this is what I wanted always.
- Kolkata is a great city, has great food and great people. We had some problems finding the kind of old buildings we were looking for, and even handling the crowds, but on the whole it was fun shooting there.
- I know I was very unstable and unhappy all through my life. I lost my mother and then my father. Losing Dad was like losing the bearings of my life. My sisters took it badly, but I took it worse. Throughout my lean phases, Dad was like a solid rock, supporting me, whether it was work, or my jail term.
- "Friendship for me is to have no expectation from your friend. Mujhe kuch zarurat nahin hai, kuch expectation nahin hai. Uske bure waqt mein main uske saath khada rahunga, par khushi mein shayad periphery pe hoon.”
- “I am on a highway or a super expressway and riding at full speed. Life has given many experiences and many stories and I am still learning to live in the world and I still strive for good experiences.”
- “My life is an open book and people know everything about it. I do not fear that anything from my life will create a controversy as all my life has gone in controversies. I want to go across the country and speak to people about my life and share my journey.”
- “For me, life has not been beautiful. It has been like going up to Mount Everest and then falling down. But every time I climbed the peak, I reached the top (again), beech mein nahin gira.”
Watch full movie here: