Varun Dhawan made his film debut as a spoilt rich brat in Karan Johar's college musical, Student of the Year. Here are some facts about Varun and his debut film that you may not have known.
1. Varun was a very naughty child. Father David and mom Lali Dhawan had a tough time disciplining him.
2. Varun’s elder brother Rohit always wanted to be a director while Varun was adamant on being an actor. They are as inseparable in real life as Ram and Laskhman.
3. Papa David Dhawan refused to launch Varun in a home production. ‘I wanted him to go out there and find his bearings,’ said David. Karan Johar took it on himself to launch Varun.
4. In his debut film The Student Of The Year (SOTY) Varun essentially played himself: a spoilt rich kid who likes to get everything he wants.
5. During the shooting of SOTY David Dhawan didn’t visit his son even once on the sets, nor did he see a single frame of his son’s work before release.
6. Varun’s second film Main Tera Hero was papa David Dhawan’s tribute to his favourite actor Govinda. Varun is a huge Govinda fan.
7. Varun had requested Govinda to watch Main Tera Hero. Govinda begged off. He has now requested Govinda to watch Badlapur.
8. During the shooting of Badlapur Varun changed his entire lifestyle. He stopped partying and hanging out friends. He began to enjoy his isolation so much that his mother had to call up Varun’s friends to find out what is wrong.
9. To get the role of grieving husband and father right Varun depended on his Sriram Raghavan’s description of what the director went through when he lost his father. Also, Varun recalled his sense of unstoppable pain when he almost his father in Bangkok during the shooting of Main Tera Hero. Varun’s character was named Raghav in Badlapur, after Raman Raghav the serial killer on whom Sriram Raghavan had made a documentary before he turned a feature maker.And in case you haven’t noticed the director is also amed Raghav(an).
10. Kalank is likely to be the first flop of Varun's career.