It hasn’t been an easy time for the talented Shahid Kapoor. His solo-hero films have largely flopped miserably. The two recent hits he had were Udta Punjab and Padmaavat where Shahid had to share the screen with Diljit Dosanjh and Ranveer Singh, respectively. Here are five reasons why Kabir Singh will be a game-changer for Shahid.
- Shahid Kapoor was absolutely loved as the wild boy in Udta Punjaab while his noble-king act in Padmaavat was pretty tame. So here’s what Shahid’s career managers need to know. The audience wants to see more of the wild side of this Kapoor.
- This is where Kabir Singh comes in. It again taps Shahid Kapoor’s dark and wild side without pause or apology. His fans wondered…what if he played Alauddin Khilji in Padmaavat. Now they have an alternative answer. Kabir Singh is unconventional to the point of being a social anomaly. He drinks, fornicates, breaks rules and creates a public nuisance. Unlike the good-boy that Shahid has played during most of his career, Kabir Singh is one chap girls won’t want to take home to their mothers.
- Shahid’s two career-best performances have featured him in bad-boy roles in Kaminay and Udta Punjab. Kabir Singh will complete the hat-trick.
- Shahid has made a career out of choosing wrong roles. Mira Nair chased him to do The Reluctant Fundamentalist. He said he was busy doing a Bollywood film (which eventually flopped miserably). He almost didn’t do Kabir Singh. The producers had almost signed Arjun Kapoor. But director Sandeep Vanga insisted he will direct the Hindi remake of Arjun Reddy only with Shahid in the lead.
- The best thing to happen to the Arjun Reddy remake is director Sandeep Vanga. To get him and no one else to direct Kabir Singh was a wise move. Only the original director knows where to change the punctuations without tampering with the tempo and rhythm of the story
- Arjun Reddy made Vijay Deverakonda a superstar in Andhra. Its Hindi remake is likely to have a similar alchemic effect on Shahid Kapoor’s career. Shahid Kapoor and Kiara Advani have been promoting the film with a lot of enthusiasm and style. Watch for the explosion to finally happen.