Ranveer Singh had to go through immense training for ’83, here’s how

Ranveer Singh had to go through immense training for ’83, here’s how

Ranveer Singh had average batting skills and bowling that left the filmmakers scratching their heads, but the actor trained a lot which helped him overcome his weakness

Ranveer Singh is undoubtedly one of the biggest heartthrobs of Bollywood. He is also an exceptional actor who has given hits such as Padmaavat, Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela, Bajirao Mastani and recently Gully Boy directed by Zoya Akhtar – which is also being considered as India’s entry for Oscar’s consideration. Throughout the course of his career, Ranveer has had to put on many different avatars. For his first film, Band Baaja Baraat, the actor had to sport a lean figure, whereas for Padmaavat’s Khijli, Ranveer had to bulk up and soon after, he had to return to a leaner shape for Gully Boy. Now, with his next outing, ‘83, the actor again has to go through a rigorous amount of training.

View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Ranveer Singh (@ranveersingh) on

Ranveer’s upcoming film is based on the life of former Indian cricketer Kapil Dev, in which the actor will be essaying the sports legend. But to get into the cricketer’s shoes, the actor along with the rest of the cast members who play several other sports personalities had to sweat it out on the field and hone their cricketing skills. Fitness consultant and assistant to Balwinder Sandhu – a former cricketer – Rajiv Mehra, was one to coach the cast which kicked off training in August last year. He said, “Everyone was aware about their characters but getting the technique right was our responsibility. We had to train them to become their characters physically.”

Rajiv added that while individual training plans were made for the rest of the cast, Ranveer’s average batting skills and bowling left them scratching their heads. However, it was the actor’s dedication that made him overcome his weakness. Rajiv explained, “Ranveer – along with the boys – would be at the ground from 8am till noon, continuing practice even after others had left. He was a little heavy and we had to bring him down to 75kgs, so for the second half of the day, he would train with me at the gym and end with swimming. He did that for 4 months. He had issues with one of his knees so we even devised a rehab plan for him.”