Randeep Hooda: Here’s a Look at the Actor’s Career Highlights on His 42nd Birthday
Randeep Hooda was born on 20th August 1976. He made his acting debut in 2001 with Mira Nair’s film Monsoon Wedding. Here’s a look at his career and notable roles.
Versatile Bollywood actor, Randeep Hooda turns 42 today. Apart from being an intense actor, Randeep is also considered one of India’s most attractive celebrities. He was ranked 21st in The Times of India's annual list of the 50 most desirable men in 2010 and ranked seventh on a list of 20 sexiest men in the world, based on a global online survey in 2011. Born in Haryana, India, Randeep studied human resource management in Melbourne, Australia, and then returned to India, where he initially pursued a career in marketing. However, he eventually ventured into modelling and theatre in Delhi.
It was during a rehearsal for a theatrical play that filmmaker Mira Nair spotted him and asked him to audition for a part in her upcoming film. Randeep successfully bagged the role of a non-resident Indian from Australia in Mira Nair’s critically acclaimed film, Monsoon Wedding, which was released in 2001.
However, despite the film’s critical and commercial success, Randeep had to wait for another four years to get a second film project, during which he continued to work in theatre and appear in TV commercials. In 2005, he was cast as the lead in gangster film D, directed by Ram Gopal Verma, and received many positive reviews for his performance. This was followed by a series of flop films, including Darna Zaroori Hai (2006), Risk (2007), Ru Ba Ru (2008) and Love Khichdi (2009).
2010 was a significant turning point in Randeep’s career as his period action drama film, Milan Luthria's Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai was released, co-starring Ajay Devgan, Emraan Hashmi, Kangana Ranaut and Prachi Desai. The film was a huge success and Randeep was highly appreciated for his performance as a police officer, with a critic even comparing his screen presence to that of Amitabh Bachchan. The film changed Randeep’s professional prospects completely. Some of his other notable roles, in subsequent films, include the following:
• Randeep appeared in the 2011 romantic thriller Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster, alongside Mahie Gill and Jimmy Shergill, where he played a gangster who falls in love with a married woman while working as her driver.
• He was part of a segment directed by Karan Johar for the 2013 anthology film Bombay Talkies -- celebrating 100 years of Indian cinema -- where he portrayed a closet LGBT who is married to Rani Mukerji, a woman struggling to understand why her husband is not attracted to her.
• In 2014, Randeep played an abductor in Imtiaz Ali’s road drama film Highway, opposite Alia Bhatt; a man with a difficult childhood who begins to care deeply about the woman he kidnaps.
• Randeep starred as a police officer in Sajid Nadiadwala's 2014 action blockbuster Kick, alongside Salman Khan and Jacqueline Fernandez.
• He played the titular role in Omung Kumar’s 2016 biographical drama Sarabjit, an Indian man captured in Pakistan and sentenced to death.
• He also appeared in 2016 hit sports drama film Sultan, as Salman Khan’s coach.
Randeep Hooda’s Upcoming Films
Randeep will next be seen in a romantic film by Imtiaz Ali -- said to be the sequel of the director's previous hit Love Aaj Kal -- starring Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan, which is scheduled for release in February 2020. The actor has also commenced shooting in Scotland for a thriller directed by Vivek Chouhan, entitled Rat On A Highway. In this film, Randeep will be portraying an advertising professional who is unable to remember the last 48 hours of his life. The actor will also be part of another thriller produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, alongside Mukkabaaz actress Zoya Hussain. The currently untitled thriller will go on the floors in October.