Must-Try Yoga Poses to Slim Down This Summer
Yoga practitioner and healer, Sanjeev Krishna shows you how to keep fit!
There are many exercises designed to help you lose weight, whether it’s vigorous cardio or intense weight training, however yoga is a silent fat blaster. Yoga has many poses that you can try to tone your body up, making sure you feel more confident this summer. Yoga Guru Sanjeev Krishna, founder of Sanjeev Krishna Yoga in Jumeirah, is known for curing people with severe ailments, even those considered untreatable. This has resulted in him having a large fan following across the world and he has now brought his yoga wealth to Dubai. On offer is a variety of life-changing programmes including Hatha Yoga, yoga Nidra, Zero Gravity, the defence art form of Kalari, detox programmes among others. We got the renowned yoga guru to give a few simple tips and poses to get fit this summer.
1. LOW PLANK POSE (targets arms and abs)
1. Start by positioning yourself into a downward dog by coming on to your hands and knees. Gently lift your knees away from the floor and push your top thighs back and stretch your heels onto the floor.
2. Slowly get in to the plank pose by drawing your torso forward until your arms are perpendicular to the floor and the shoulders are directly over the wrists.
3. As you exhale, lower your torso and legs to a few inches above the ground and your arms are bent almost at a 45-degree angle.
4. Practice this pose individually for 10 to 30 seconds and release with an exhalation. You can either go down straight onto the floor or return to a downward dog.
2. BOAT POSE (targets abs)
1. Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you with your hands pressed on the floor inches behind your hips. Lean back slightly but make sure not to round your back so that it’s straight at all times.
2. Exhale and bend your knees. Proceed to lift your feet off the floor and slowly straighten your knees so the tips of your toes are above the level of your eyes. If you are unable to, your knees can remain bent so your shins are parallel to the floor.
3. Lift your arms off the floor and stretch them alongside the legs so they are parallel to each other and to the floor.
4. Try the pose for 10 to 20 seconds and once you feel confident with the pose, increase the time up to 1 minute. Release the legs with an exhale.
3. COBRA POSE (targets abs)
1. Lie down on your stomach, parallel to the floor. Spread your hands on the floor, under your shoulders and tuck your elbows in towards your torso. Press the tops of the feet into the floor.
2. On an inhale, straighten the arms so you are lifting just your chest off the floor and proceed to press your hips in to the floor.
3. Hold the pose from 15 to 30 seconds, breathing deeply and then release back on to the floor with an exhalation.
4. STANDING SIDE BEND (targets obliques)
1. Stand tall with your feet and legs together. Reach both arms straight up overhead as you inhale and get in to a good stretch to prevent any injury.
2. In the same position, curve your upper body at the hips by gently bending to the right along with your arms still in the air.
3. After a few breaths, inhale and return to the center with your arms still above your head. Repeat the same on the left side of the torso for the same amount of time. Return to the center and then inhale.
5. SIDE PLANK POSE (targets arm, core and oblique)
1. Start by positioning yourself in to a downward dog by coming on to your hands and knees. Gently lift your knees away from the floor and push your top thighs back and stretch your heels onto the floor.
2. Shift on to the side of your left foot and stack your right foot on top. Bring your right hand on to your right hip and turn the torso in the same direction so the weight of your body is on your left foot and left hand.
3. Make sure your body is aligned in to one line from the heels to the top of your head. Stay in the position for 15 to 30 seconds and slowly come back to a downward dog. Repeat the move on the other side for the same length of time.
To try these poses out, head to Sanjeev Krishna Yoga, which is a new centre in the heart of Jumeirah that offers a range of wellness classes such as Hatha Yoga, Yoga Nidra, Zero Gravity, Kalari and detox programs. Guruji Sanjeev Krishna has been awarded by the Department of Health and Medical Services (DOHMS) and he has been operating in the Middle East for more than a decade. Give this class a try!