In a year that marks the 40th anniversary of the wrap dress, Diane von Furstenberg (DVF) has launched an initiative designed to collect wrap dress stories from women all over the world. Inviting anyone who has a story to tell about their experience with the DVF wrap dress—from first jobs, to first dates, special occasions and everything in between! In celebration of the dress that started it all, they have created a dedicated website, www.dvfwrapstory.com, to gather all wrap stories, which will be shared with Diane.
“I was 26 when I created the wrap dress in 1974. That simple little dress was a major milestone in my life. Its success allowed me to become the woman I wanted to be. For years, women have come to me with stories of why that dress has also been important to them. Now, we are collecting stories and photos from women all over the world,” says Diane von Furstenberg.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Diane created the Wrap Dress in 1974
- The wrap top preceded the dress… Diane saw Julie Nixon Eisenhower wearing her wrap top and wrap skirt together on television, and decided to combine them into a dress
- Cybill Shepherd wore it in the movie Taxi Driver
- 15,000 wrap dresses were sold in a week in 1975, and over five million in 1976
- Michelle Obama wore it on her first White House Christmas card