How To Weight Train To Get A Slim And Sexy Figure
Founder of A-Tone Fitness Lounge, Anjali Chandiramani tells us why weight training is important
Weight loss – the big challenge for men and women – isn’t a one way traffic. No amount of walking, running or swimming will help if you don’t diet. Similarly, no diet will work if you don’t train in weights. Yet there are a lot of myths about weight training, especially among women.
THREE MYTHS ABOUT WEIGHT TRAINING
- Weight training doesn’t help you burn calories
While cardio helps you burn calories, it’s muscle training helps you burn calories for the next 24 hours. This is known as EPOC or "Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption." In cardio, on the other hand, once you stop, the calorie burning also stops.
- Weight Training makes you Gain Weight and Size
Weight lifting helps you burn fat and develop muscle. Fat is less dense than muscle, taking up less space, so you can slim down even when you’re not losing weight. Meaning, even if you do not move much from the weighing scale, you would definitely have a shift in size and drop a dress size.
- Women Shouldn’t Lift Heavy Weights
Lifting heavy weights for fewer reps (five or less) will increase the thickness of individual muscle fibres, making you stronger, not bulkier. So go ahead and give it all you’ve got to see that change!
FOUR REASONS WHY WEIGHT TRAINING IS ESSENTIAL
- You boost your metabolism by heavy weight training. High metabolism means burning more calories even during resting heartrate.
- It helps improve bone density, leaving us with more muscle and better overall health.
- Cardio may improve our cardio-vascular fitness, but weight training helps us get though the day's errands better. We can lift our kids, our shopping bags and help with luggage better when we are stronger.
- Stronger muscles can help you stand and sit straighter and more comfortably and improve balance and stability. This overall helps improve your fitness levels keeping fat percentage lower, burn more calories, making you look not like the thinnest, but the most toned!
THREE BEST FORMS OF EXERCISE TO TONE UP