Ask anyone and they will confirm that a foundation is one of the toughest beauty purchase. You need one that matches your skin colour, type and tone. Choose a wrong shade the entire look goes haywire. Thankfully, long gone are the days when it was hard to find a shade of foundation that your skin needs. Beauty brands these days are increasingly investing in catering to a wider market. As a result, there are many options to choose from.
This season has been all about foundation launches, what with Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty’s 40 foundation shades and Huda Kattan’s Faux Filter with some 20 shades creating a splash in the beauty world.
BUT WHAT ABOUT INDIAN SKIN?
Since foundations create the base of our entire look, with Indian skin tones, it is important that the product has a slight yellowish/olive pigment or undertone. Several brands offer foundations that have pink and peach-ish undertones which make your skin look whitish and rather chalky while the yellow/olive ones give a dewy finish.
BECCA Cosmetics’ Style Director, Kerry Cole says, “Glowing skin can look beautiful when it’s not overdone. Find a foundation that has a hint of luminosity built into the formula. This way you’ll still get color, and coverage from the formula but won’t be over done with too much shimmer. ”
CHOOSE THE RIGHT SHADE
As a general rule, it is advisable to use a foundation that gives a healthy glow and look without being sticky. The best way to determine what matches your skin tone is by applying a little foundation, and if it disappears in your skin, then that specific colour is one that matches you best. However, bear in mind that skin tones can change based on weather and sun exposure. For example, you will need a darker foundation in the summer and lighter one in the winter.
Gilbery Soliz, Marc Jacob Beauty’s Global Make-up Artist says, “One of the biggest beauty mistakes that women make is wearing too much or wearing the wrong color foundation where they end up with a line of demarcation at the jaw line. Always consider the state of your skin. The skin changes during each season and knowing what formulas and finishes work best will be the key to looking your best.”
TYPES OF FOUNDATION
There are four types of face foundations: liquid, powder, stick and mousse.
Liquid foundations are by far the most popular. The texture of liquid foundations are easy to blend on most skin types and they have matt-finish options which will go great with oily skin types. Liquid foundations offer sheer, medium and full coverage, depending on how heavy the texture is.
Powder foundations are mineral-based and ideal for sheer coverage. They set instantly, and blur the skin’s patchiness.
The best example of stick foundations are Kim Kardashian’s KKW Beauty’s crayon contour kits. You can use them directly to draw on your face and then blend them in.
While they don’t offer full coverage, Mousse Foundations are slowly becoming the norm because they are creamier than liquid foundations and blend in better with the skin.
TOP OF THE PICKS
• Becca’s Aqua Luminous Perfecting Foundation is best if you are looking for hydrating, luminous everyday wear. This is perfect for people with normal to dry skin and want light to medium coverage.
• La Prairie’s Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation has SPF 15, and it glides on perfectly, giving a natural dewy finish. The luxurious emulsion offers sheer, natural-looking coverage that is suited for all skin types.
• Charlotte Tillbury’s SPF15 Magic Foundation is not as runny as most liquid foundations, but it gives full coverage that doesn’t looked caked upon. The only struggle is that you have to mix two colours to get the right shade.
• MAC Mineralize SPF15 Foundation remains most Indian women’s go-to. The brand gets almost all the shades of Indian skin right, with options for sheer to full coverage, that doesn’t require touch-ups. This particular foundation has Vitamin E and shea butter that hydrates your skin.
• Bobbi Brown Stick Foundation is best for travel, as it is sweat and humidity-resistant. The foundation itself has skin tone correcting pigments that even out dark spots and blends easily on the skin.
• L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Matter Foundation gives medium to full matte coverage is really smooth to use for skin.