Happy Birthday Sukhwinder Singh: Here’s a Look at the Singer’s Musical Journey and Best Songs
As Bollywood playback singer Sukhwinder Singh turns 48, here’s a look at his music career and his most popular and award-winning songs
Sukhwinder Singh is an Indian Bollywood playback singer, who has received international acclaim. He was born on 18th July 1971 in Amritsar, India, and performed a Kishore Kumar song on stage when he was only eight years old. He eventually went on to release a Punjabi album, joined the troupe of composer duo Lamikant-Pyarelal, became a music arranger and then sang for Tamil and Bollywood films. However, due to moderate success, he took a break and went to England and the United States to broaden his horizons, and then returned to Mumbai to restart his singing career. It was only then that he rose to prominence with one of his most famous songs Chaiyya Chaiyya, from the film Dil Se, which was composed by A R Rahman. Sukhwinder won the Best Male Playback Award in 1999 for this song. The song was also featured in the musical Bombay Dreams and in the titles and credits of 2006 film Inside Man.
Here’s a list of the singer’s other iconic performances:
- Jai Ho in Slumdog Millionaire, which won an Academy Award for Best Original Song and a Grammy Award for Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media
- His rendition for 2014 film Haider, for which he won the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer
- Haule Haule in Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, for which he again won the Best Male Playback Award
- Kar Har Maidaan Fateh in Sanju
- Ramta Jogi in Taal
- Beedi in Omkara
- Ruth Aa Gayee Re in Earth
- Chak De in Chak De! India
- Fashion Ka Hai Jalwa in Fashion
- Dard E Disco in Om Shanti Om
These and many other songs have helped Sukhwinder become the voice of many Bollywood actors, including Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Arjun Rampal, Anil Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Saif Ali Khan, Ajay Devgan, Abhishek Bachchan, Riteish Deshmukh, Vivek Oberoi, Sanjay Dutt, Ranbir Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol and others. In a recent interview, the 48-year old singer revealed that he refuses to sing at private functions due to which he loses 25-30 crore per year. He also said that he was blessed to be a singer and that he was a quick learner. The Masala! team wishes him a very Happy Birthday!