Game of Thrones Show-runners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss Announce Exit from Star Wars Trilogy in Joint Statement
Celebrities

Game of Thrones Show-runners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss Announce Exit from Star Wars Trilogy in Joint Statement

David Benioff and D B Weiss have decided to step away from the franchise. It seems like they could not balance the Star Wars trilogy with their recent deal with Netflix

Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D B Weiss made headlines when they were roped in for the Star Wars trilogy a little over a year ago. Their fans remained divided when the news broke the internet. While some criticised the decision citing the Game of Thrones finale that did not live up to audiences’ expectations, others eagerly anticipated what the dynamic duo would bring to the table. In a surprising development, the two have now announced their exit from the franchise. The pair was attached to the project for more than a year to develop a new trilogy of films beyond the Skywalker Saga. Their series of films were slated to begin in December 2022.

On August 7, Benioff and Weiss signed a $200 million megadeal to develop new projects with Netflix and it seems like they cannot balance the Star Wars trilogy, simultaneously. “We love Star Wars. When George Lucas built it, he built us, too. Getting to talk about Star Wars with him and the current Star Wars team was the thrill of a lifetime, and we will always be indebted to the saga that changed everything,” read a statement. “There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects. So we are regretfully stepping away,” it added.

In an earnings call earlier this year, just before the Game of Thrones finale, CEO Bob Iger said that those dates were for Benioff and Weiss’s trilogy – they had previously been announced as developing a trilogy in February, 2018. Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy’s statement to Deadline seemed to leave the possibility of the team’s return at a later date. “David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers. We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars,” he said at the time. The news of Benioff and Weiss’ departure comes just hours after Lucasfilm debuted a second, longer trailer for their first-ever live-action series, The Mandalorian, which will air on Disney+ on November 12.

Comments