Dubai Sports Council Announces Marathon... But From Home!
Organised in collaboration with 5:30 Run and ASICS Middle East, this unique marathon will take place on Friday, April 10. Here's how you can participate
The Coronavirus has put a full stop to all our outdoor activities. As part of the measures to curb its spread, the UAE, like other countries, has announced a shut down that was made more stringent on Saturday. With gyms and fitness centres closed down, those who are into fitness are a worried lot. But what if we told you, you can participate in a marathon during this time?
Yes! That's what the Dubai Sports Council wants you to do - run a full marathan, all 42,195 km in distance in these times. Called the #marathonat home, the big event is scheduled on April 10 between 8 am and 6pm UAE time with a 10 hour time cap. The new initiative will take place under the umbrella of DSC’s ‘Be Fit, Be Safe’ and #stayhome campaigns, and is designed to keep members of UAE’s community in running shape inside their home.
This is how you do it.
* Participants can decide on the shape of their running course, but running on a treadmill or any other training equipment will not be accepted.
* Running in public areas is also not allowed - the participant will need to physically run on ground, and inside their house.
* The participants will also have to make sure they have a fully charged smartwatch or smartphone, with the Strava app installed and activated.
* They will have to join the “Marathon at Home” group on Strava and stay connected as the app will detect their movement and will assist in keeping track of their timing and distance traveled.
* Registration for the Marathon at Home is open now, until April 6, through the www.530run.club website, but race entry is non-transferable between individuals and relays are not allowed.
There are plenty of prizes on offer for top finishers with all the participants receiving a finisher certificate from ASICSME and 5:30 Run, while all the finishers will receive an ASICS t-shirt and a finisher medal.
Ready to run indoors?