Dubai schools will be opening in September
The KHDA confirms and outlines the new safety procedures
Many parents breathed a sigh of relief last night as the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) confirmed schools will be opening in September. While there is yet to be an announcement on nurseries, both schools and universities will be allowed to open providing they followed specific health and safety protocols.
Taking to their Twitter account the KHDA wrote, “Schools will be reopening in the new academic year; some things might look different, but others won’t change – making sure children are healthy & safe, and giving them the best learning experience possible.”
Schools will be reopening in the new academic year; some things might look different, but others won’t change - making sure children are healthy & safe, and giving them the best learning experience possible. #InThisTogetherDubai #NewDaysNewWays— KHDA (@KHDA) June 22, 2020
Going on to outline the new measures on their website under the FAQ section, the KHDA stipulated that the following protocols must be followed in order for schools to open:
- Taking the temperature of everyone who enters the school daily.
- Maintaining physical distance guidelines and reducing the head count capacity in the classroom.
- Sterilising the school building regularly.
- Timetable organization to avoid high concentrations of students in one place including meal times.
- Suspending group activities such as sport events, performances and celebrations
- Reducing bus capacity to 30%.
- Appointing a trained health and safety professional who will ensure measures are being met and that students don’t gather during recreation time.
In order to accommodate the guidelines schools will be able to choose from a variety of models depending on their size and circumstances.
- Opening to all students.
- Continuing with distance learning part-time.
- Timetabling lessons to be staggered in ‘shifts’.
- A combination or creative solution.
You can read more of the KHDA’s answers to parent questions here.
Photo by Unsplash.