Dessert of The Day: Gluten Free Carrot Cake
We snuck this recipe out from the sweet kitchens of Flow at Jumeirah Emirates Towers
Note: Recipe makes 1 x 24cm Two Tier Cake
Ingredients for cake:
200g Fresh Organic Egg
200g Palm Sugar
200g Coconut Sugar
10g Baking Soda
10g Baking Powder
10g Cinnamon Powder
120g Corn Starch
120g Almond Powder
375g Corn Oil
5g Vanilla Essence
Method for cake:
· Whisk the fresh Eggs along with both the sugars until light and fluffy.
· Combine the Baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, corn starch and then sieve.
· Add the ground almond to the dry ingredients.
· Slowly add all the dry ingredients into the eggs and sugar mixture.
· Mix slowly, and be careful not to over beat.
· Add the oil, Vanilla and lastly the carrot.
· Split the mixture evenly between two greased 24cm cake tins and cook at 160c for 45 minutes. To check insert a skewer and ensure it comes out clean.
· Leave to cool.
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting:
900g low fat Cream Cheese
600g Icing Sugar
Method for frosting:
· Sieve the icing sugar.
· Place the cream cheese in a bowl and beat until smooth.
· Add the sieved icing sugar to the cheese, and beat until combined.
· Melt the butter fully and gently add to the mix, beat until everything is fully incorporated and smooth.
Assembly of cake:
· Take one tin of the baked carrot cake and turn it out onto a serving plate (run a knife around the edge if needed).
· Scale 400g of cream cheese frosting and spread in the middle.
· Sandwich the second cake on top and press firmly to ensure it is stuck properly.
· Spread the remaining cream cheese around the sides of the cake and on the top.
· Garnish with chopped pistachio nuts.