Deepika Padukone and Mental Health Lessons We Have Learned From Her
Deepika Padukone is one star that is always willing to open up about her mental health issues and increase awareness of the issue in our society. Here are a few key lessons we can learn about our mental health from Deepika herself!
Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone has been quite vocal about her battle with depression. The actor, with her amazing line of work not only in Bollywood but also in Hollywood, is one of the few prominent stars in the industry that has openly accepted her mental health issues and has strived for its acceptance. Depression is still very much a taboo subject in South Asian households and the actor took an initiative so that people can follow suit and talk about it without feeling a certain kind of guilt associated with mental illness.
Over the years, Deepika has given us some insight into how we should approach our own mental health in our day to day life. Let’s get to know her lessons:
1. Don't be ashamed of it. Depression can happen to anyone of us
2. Own it. Don't think about "log kya kahenge". Accept depression, talk about it and increase its awareness.
3. Let it out! Don't keep it inside you. Talk about what you are going through to people close to you. Be it your family, friends or partner.
4. This is for the family members and friends, do not dismiss the talk. When your closed one confides in you about her inner struggles, don't sweep it under the rug and reject it as some attention seeking move or mood swings. Hear them out and help them through.
5. No depression is not sadness. Sadness is a part of human existence and it's good
6. Depression is just another ailment. It is not a weakness or madness. Just like you can have a physical ailment, there can be mental ailment too
7. Don't hesitate, seek help. It is ok to go to a psychiatrist. A professional help will only enhance your life in a positive way. So go out and open up about what's bothering you inside.
The reason why its highly important for people like Deepika Padukone to create awareness so that it’s no longer something that’s considered a stigma in our society. For her it wasn’t just fighting depression, it was also to create awareness and take up the flag against it. Hence, The superstar, today is working in the field of mental health by creating her foundation called Live Love Laugh Foundation.