Celebrities' Donation for Coronavirus Fight in India: A Comprehensive List
From Akshay Kumar to Suresh Raina, Hema Malini and Rajnikanth, Bollywood and Tollywood celebrities have pledged huge donations for the fight against Corona in India
The coronavirus has hit the world like a sledgehammer sending panic and anxiety across the world. Aside from the medical worries, the biggest question is that of the economic impact of the virus. The Indian economy was already doing badly and this pandemic has definitely come across as a double blow.
With increasing number of cases in the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 21-day lockdown thus effectively shutting down the whole country. This is to ensure that everyone stays indoors and thus can help in containing the spread of the virus.
Bollywood has been majorly impacted by the shutdown too as shoots and events have got cancelled. But with the crisis looming large, our celebs have stepped into the act and have started contributing to alleviate the problems faced by their fellow countrymen. When PM Narendra Modi announced the setting up of the #PMCares fund, several people from all walks of life declared they would contribute in the fight against Coronavirus. Here are the list of Bollywood celebrities and important personalities who have made major donations for the cause.
- Akshay Kumar has announced that he would be donating INR 25 crores to the PM’s fund. Wife Twinkle Khanna revealed Akshay told her that he was a nobody when he came to Bollywood and now, this was his chance to give back. Way to go Akshay.
This is that time when all that matters is the lives of our people. And we need to do anything and everything it takes. I pledge to contribute Rs 25 crores from my savings to @narendramodi ji’s PM-CARES Fund. Let’s save lives, Jaan hai toh jahaan hai. https://t.co/dKbxiLXFLS— Akshay Kumar (@akshaykumar) March 28, 2020
- Salman Khan, always known for his large heart and generosity has pledged to financially support 25,000 daily wage workers from the film industry in the wake of the lockdown. As has been extensively reported, it is the daily wage workers who have been impacted the maximum due to the lockdown.
#SalmanKhan Does It Again, This Time For The "DAILY WAGE CINE WORKERS"— YOGESH (@i_yogesh22) March 28, 2020
Apart From Helping Daily Wage Workers of Bwood In This #CoronavirusLockdown, Salman Has Also Ensured That Every Cine Worker's Family Must Get Daily Requirement Of Food & Necessities!#ManWithAGoldenHeart pic.twitter.com/AEtro5gqYo
- T-Series head honcho Bhushan Kumar made a contribution of INR 11 Crore to the #PMCares fund and INR 1 crore to the Maharashtra CM relief fund.
Today, we are all at a really crucial stage & it’s extremely important to do all we can to help. I, along with my entire @TSeries family pledge to donate Rs. 11 crores to the PM-CARES Fund. We can & will fight this together, Jai Hind @PMOIndia @narendramodi #IndiaFightsCorona https://t.co/mBBhuVgW1t— Bhushan Kumar (@itsBhushanKumar) March 29, 2020
- Hrithik Roshan announced that he had procured N95 and FFP masks for the BMC (municipality) workers and other caretakers.
In times such as these, we must do whatever we can to ensure the safety of the most fundamental caretakers of our city and society. I have procured N95 and FFP3 masks for our BMC workers and other caretakers... 1/2— Hrithik Roshan (@iHrithik) March 26, 2020
- Dancer-actress-politician Hema Malini released INR 1 crore from her MP’s fund to fight the pandemic.
In order to mitigate some of the problems faced by Mathuravasis, particularly the underprivileged for medical supplies that might become v difficult during the lockdown, I have decided to allot one crore from my MPLAD funds towards this to my constituency of Mathura— Hema Malini (@dreamgirlhema) March 24, 2020
- Sunny Deol, who entered the political arena last year and got elected, also announced he would relased INR 50 lakh from his fund to procure important equipment.
करोना जैसी महामारी के बचाव के लिए अपनी लोकसभा गुरदासपुर के सेहत विभाग को किसी भी तरह की दिक्कत का सामना ना करना पड़े इसलिए मैं अपने एमपी लैंड से ₹5000000 का फंड रिलीज करता हूं ताकि अपना हलका गुरदासपुर को इस महामारी से निपटने में किसी दिक्कत का सामना ना करना पड़े— Sunny Deol (@iamsunnydeol) March 25, 2020
- Superstar Rajnikanth didn’t back down either. He donated INR 50 lakh to the daily wage workers of the south Indian film industry.
- Bahubali star Prabhas, who is quarantined after returning from the US, has donated INR 4 crore toward COVID 19 relief work.
Darling #Prabhas contributes— Prabhas (@PrabhasRaju) March 26, 2020
4 Crores to the government to fight against #coronavirus
3 crores to @PMOIndia Relief Fund & 50 lakhs each to @TelanganaCMO Relief Fund and @AndhraPradeshCM Relief Fund #StayHomeStaySafe#IndiaBattlesCoronavirus pic.twitter.com/tPxwyK6ugQ
- Actor-politician Pawan Kalyan promised a donation of INR 1 crore to the PM fund.
- Kapil Sharma, noted comedian and actor, said he would contribute INR 50 lakh to the PM relief fund.
It's time to stand together with the ones who need us. Contributing Rs.50 lakhs to the PM relief fund towards the #fightagainstcorona. Request everyone to #stayhome #staysafe #jaihind #PMrelieffund @narendramodi— Kapil Sharma (@KapilSharmaK9) March 26, 2020
- Indian cricketer Suresh Raina showed his altruistic side by contributing INR 31 lakh.