Ajay Devgn’s De De Pyaar De: 5 Reasons Why this Comedy Has the Looks of a Winner
Ajay Devgn teams up with Luv Ranjan who made the superhit Sonu Ke Titu ki Sweety, in this comedy love-triangle that also stars Rakul Preet Singh and Tabu
The thing about Ajay Devgn is that he never ceases to surprise us. From the intense introverted husband to Aishwarya Rai in Hum…Dil De Chuke Sanam to the adulterous not so introverted seemingly philandering husband to Tabu in his new release De De Pyaar De, Ajay covers the entire gamut of masculine emotions, toxic or otherwise. When Devgn teams up with Luv Ranjan (who produces and co-writes De De Pyaar De) fireworks are expected to fly, here’s why.
1. Because it’s Luv Ranjan, the game changer from Pyaar Ka Punchnama and Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety. This time Ranjan produces the film. His long-time collaborator Akiv Ali directs what might be one of the sassiest rom-coms of the year.
2. Because it’s the entrancing jodi Ajay Devgn and Tabu. The pair has come a long way since they first came together in Vijaypath. In their most recent outing together Drishyam they were not paired together. Neither for that matter, are they conventionally paired this time. How are they paired in DDPD? Ah, that would be telling.
3. Because this year we’ve had no really enlightened rom-coms. The big ones have been dark and menacing Uri type with lots of aggression and attitude. Ironically the only silly film that has done well this year is Total Dhamaal with Ajay Devgn in a fully goofy avatar. How about a sensible frothy entertainer with Mr Devgn?
4. Because films about older men lusting after younger women have a hoary history in Bollywood. Remember B R Chopra’s Pati Patni Aur Woh? Devgn himself did Madhur Bhandarkar’s Dil Toh Bachchan Hai Ji where he had the hots for Shahzan Padamsee. This time Devgn treads on far more solid ground.
5. Because Rakul Preet Singh deserves a break in Bollywood: She has been two times unlucky in Hindi. Her first Hindi film Shimla Mirch never got released. Her second Hindi film Aiyaary never took off in a big way. Time for Rakul to get third-time lucky? Interestingly in Shimla Mirch, Rajkummar Rao played Rakul’s boyfriend who falls for an older woman (Hema Malini). In De De Pyaar De Rakul plays the love interest of a 50-year old man married to Tabu.
The film trade in Mumbai expects a “decent-to-good-to-excellent” weekend for De De Pyaar De. Ajay Devgn’s most favourite screen avatar for the audience is the action avatar. This is the other Devgn , the one who lets his feelings rather than his fist talk. Interestingly the poster shows Ajay striking his iconic action pose from his debut film Phool Aur Kante the one showing him straddling two vehicles, to show how he is stuck between two women. This merger of the two images of the intense emotive Devgn and his bone-busting avatar is cause to feel happy. Yes, Bollywood is growing up.