Song, Dance & fun!
Here are our fab tips to organise a truly memorable sangeet
A mong all the rituals and ceremonies of an Indian marriage, the sangeet is the most vibrant. Hindi films, as always, are a huge reference point for sangeet functions so use our songs and dances to the maximum benefit when you are planning a sangeet in your family. Bandhan gives you a few pointers to ensure you have a rollicking and smoothly organised sangeet function that everyone will keep raving about!
- The theme is the most important aspect. The most common theme to adopt is a girls’ side versus boys’ side performance competition. Choose some really fast-paced, racy numbers and have both sets of friends dance to them. Form a panel of ‘informed’ judges – theparents and senior family members – and have a competition.
- Have a dance performance in the form of a skit that tells the love story of the couple. Let friends or siblings who know the couple’s story inside-out handle the job.
- Choose songs that suit the occasion perfectly. Do not have songs that might cause discomfort or embarrassment to anyone present.
- Do a mix of Bollywood and Western dance, especially if you have a cross-cultural wedding. Have the girls perform to typical item numbers while the boys can show off their moves to rocking club songs.
- Record your practice sessions on video. It’s great for reference in case you forget the steps and also will provide good footage to use in your wedding video.
- Upload the video to YouTube so that friends abroad can learn the steps.
- Employ the services of a good DJ if you don’t want to depend on your hometheatre system.
- Decide the performers for the sangeet in advance. Not everyone is comfortable with dance steps and while a family function is not meant to be perfectly choreographed, it’s nice to have people who know their steps.
- Divide the time judiciously between the bride’s and groom’s family. Make enough arrangements for food and drinks. Also, it’s best to keep it short and simple.
- Do have a finale song to which only the bride and the groom will perform. It should be a song that encapsulates their personality and story aptly.